Sunday, July 7, 2019

Maps of GFP


I have learned a lot in a short time navigating Google MyMaps. It is very user-friendly including the ability to import KML files, but I could not find an available KML file of the entire GWMP area to import. Below is my map of Great Falls Park, Great Falls VA. There is a distinction between the Maryland vs. the Virginia side and when describing just the National Park segment, I think it important to highlight that the park is only in VA. GFP (MyMaps)

I also created an ArcGIS online map of the system of parks of which Great Falls Park in VA is a part of. Some of the area that is highlighted is in the care of the George Washington Memorial Parkway system and some is in the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park.  GFP (ArcGIS)

Additionally, I have included the link to the NPS map of Great Falls Park. Note that the VA side of Great Falls Park is bordered in a dark color. The rest of the grey region is considered part of the George Washington Memorial Parkway of the C & O Canal Park system, but is not tended to in the same way as GFP.  GFP (NPS)

Finally, linked here are a digital copy of the brochure distributed by the National Park Service at the Visitor's Center,  Great Falls Park - NPS Brochure, a Trail Map of the park, and a Geological map of the Potomac River Gorge from USGS.

Note - I really would like to know if it is possible to embed the interactive maps I created into this Blogger platform.

No comments:

Post a Comment